Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Metamorfosis by Gyscha Rendy




Today’s THE BIG DAY! My new book Metamorfosis is officially released in Indonesia!!!

My heart is full at this moment, not only because I am incredibly relieved and proud to put my work out there but more than anything, I am humbled and grateful for your love and support. Even though I had this little doubt earlier and was thinking to cancel everything, pull the plug and just keep the book for myself but I remember again YOU’RE all the reason why I wrote this book. Metamorfosis might be far from perfect but at least I try and I believe the only way to get better is to put yourself out there.

After working on this book for more than 17 months through ups and downs, I am so grateful that what started off as a dream and originally was just a rough idea I had in my mind for so long…now has been officially released!!! This book is no longer mine, but yours. Metamorfosis reminds me that nothing is impossible. Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. Although sometimes the journey can take longer but as long as we try, work hard, stay consistent, and don’t give up easily…we’d eventually get there.

Metamorfosis is a celebration of life, dreams, and hope. A journey about self-love and the courage to dream big, to take a risk, to do the hard things, and begin again. A lesson to let go, to enjoy the moment, and trust the process. Each page in this book has a different story, journey, lesson, inspiration from some very special people in my life that I hope will resonate with yours too. Writing Metamorfosis is hands down one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life. It’s not always easy to show up every day and maintain consistency but I guess when you care about something so much, you’ll find ways and do whatever it takes to make your dreams come true. The best part is…when you pour all your heart and set a good intention on it, life would support you through and through. Writing this book has taught me to let go, to observe, to listen, to love, to surrender, to be less hard on myself, to be more patient and to trust the process. I started writing this book in February 2019. My short trip to Bhutan and Sumba that month not only have reminded me of the art of enough and the beauty of living a simple life but also inspired me to create again. At the end of the trip, I asked myself how can I give back? Being incredibly lucky to do what I love and always surrounded by amazing people who constantly create and make a difference finally convince me that yes, I can do the same things too. I learn that sometimes it doesn’t take much to make a difference, even the little actions can bring huge changes. You can always give back or create a positive change by doing something that you love. And if by doing something that you love can help or inspire someone, then that’s what success really means to me.

At the beginning, I didn’t enjoy my writing process at all especially when I set the goal I have to complete my manuscript in 3 months. But the moment I accept to write at my own pace, to take my time and create with love…my frustrations started to melt away and writing gets a lot easier. Yes, I still have my doubts and fear but I choose to do it anyway. I realized I will never be 100% ready, but I just have to try and keep improving myself, that way I’ll be ready. Which reminds me when I first started blogging in 2012. From small blog posts eventually give me the confidence to write articles for big magazines, then self-published my first travel zine, podcast, and finally… this book. Throughout the writing process, for the first time in my life I experience this weird cycle when one day I can write a few pages, feeling extremely inspired and productive. Then the next day I couldn’t even get out of my bed, feeling totally lost, confused, broken, heavy, not sure what I’m doing and just want to give up. But whenever I think about giving up, I just have to remember again the reason why I’m doing this and take one step at a time. It’s totally okay if all I did today was breathe or only write few words, one paragraph, read, or a little bit of editing. It was hard to process so many emotions and experiences, but also beautiful to witness just how much patience and strength I have to finish this project. Even at times when I hit the rock bottom and feel like losing hope and faith, writing – strangely enough always gives me extra strength, love, joy, peace, and inspiration to keep going. 

It is scary to put your work out there, to send your manuscript to publishers only weeks later you’d receive rejection letters. It is scary to think what if I never get it right, never quite arrive, never work it out or people would hate it. And I could go on and on and on worrying about things I can’t control, but what if the whole point is about showing up again and again, finding little joys in the moment and continuing on? I’m not interested in perfection but it’s the act of showing up, not the outcome that’s most important. Process over product. To know that I create with love and have the courage to finish what I’ve started, go above and beyond, and finally have faith that the right people will find my work and vice versa. That’s what I can fully control and truly matters at the end of the day. Even if this book fails, what’s the worst thing that can happen? I’ve got nothing to lose, I know I can always begin again. I can always write, paint, take pictures, record or create something. Even if I don’t know what’s going to happen next, but as long as I keep trying, give my best, and keep putting one foot in front of the other then I know I’ll be fine. Despite the rejections or challenges I had to bring this book come to life, I have learned so much in the last 17 months working on this project and absolutely enjoy every moment. One thing for sure I know this book won’t be my first or last. Writing has been my passion for so long, my favorite place that I will always come home to. 

Who knew a decision to write a book would teach me so many things about myself and life, take me to a whole new journey I’ve never been before. The last few months haven’t been easy at all but to see this passion project slowly coming together and now my family and friends can enjoy my little work – it makes all the hard work really worth it. While I’m so lucky to find comfort in creative writing, I hope my little book Metamorfosis will give you comfort and inspiration too.

1 comment: