Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Yosi Yulandika on Reinventing Herself



When I think of someone who’s constantly reinventing herself and always improving, Yosi Yulandika immediately came to mind. We met few years ago in Club Med Cherating Beach, Malaysia when she was working as a nurse. Originally from Sumatera, Indonesia – Yosi and I share the same passion for creating positive change and dreams to see and experience the world.

My friend Yosi radiates warmth and positivity. She is fearless, bold, passionate, and kind. During her years working at Club Med, Yosi would help those who need her in the infirmary. After her shift ends, she’d continue training at the gym or learning aerial circus acts with the circus team. Her curiosity to learn something new and passion for circus finally led her to a big opportunity to join the circus team. Obviously it’s not easy to change and start all over again - especially if you join the circus, it’d require a lot of training, self-discipline, and commitment. But Yosi knows as long as she keeps putting one foot in front of the other, work hard, stay consistent, and never stop learning – she would be unstoppable. 

Last April 2019, Yosi told me about her decision to learn yoga in India. While she loves the circus and enjoyed performing with her team, she realized she still needs to improve her strength and flexibility. Once again Yosi took a leap of faith to move to Rishikesh for a few months, take yoga teacher training courses and travel a little bit around India. At the end of her stay in Rishikesh, Yosi has earned not only a yoga teacher certificate but also proved herself that she can always reinvent herself. You are limitless and what you do matter. Yes, change is hard and growth is often uncomfortable but it’s always worth it. Just remember to be patient with yourself, don’t rush the process…Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear. 

It’s been really amazing to see Yosi’s journey and how far she has come in the last few years. More than just a registered nurse, a circus performer, or a yoga/fitness instructor…Yosi defines herself as a life enthusiast and she knows the best is yet to come. Even though there are so many things she had planned this year didn’t end up happening, but Yosi believes what’s meant to be will always find its way. Meanwhile, she can always choose joy and focus on the things she can control. In the midst of uncertainty like this, Yosi feels grateful for the opportunity to teach yoga where she can connect with her students, comfort others, and make them feel good. To know that sometimes it doesn’t take much to make a difference, even the little actions can bring huge changes. All you have to do is show up and be the best version of yourself, that’s how you’d create a positive change and inspire others. 

I find it really inspiring to see how far someone can go and the way life would support and surprise you the moment you decide to take a tiny step and change your life. That no matter what your current situation at the moment, at the end of the day you always have the freedom to start again and move forward.

Scroll down to read my interview with Yosi. I hope her story and journey would inspire you. 



Tell me about your background

Hi, my name is Yosi. I’m a yoga and fitness instructor based out of Penang, Malaysia. I’m also a registered nurse where I used to work at the infirmary at luxury resorts taking care of patients with emergency cases. Ever since I ventured into nursing science and kept an active lifestyle, I started to appreciate the importance of a healthy life.

I know you were a nurse before then you switched career to the circus. Why circus?

Why circus? Because it’s fun and amazing! It’s something that I never thought I could do in my life. I find it really amazing and mind-blowing at the same time to see how circus performers can fly really high while holding on to a single trapeze bar without fear. Or when their body moves so gracefully on a hoop or silk. That amazing drop they do when they perform aerial silk or hammock on the stage just under the spotlight…it’s so beautiful and breathtaking like falling in love at first sight. That was how I discovered my passion for circus.

Why India? Why yoga?

India was yoga’s birthplace many thousands of years ago. I would love to learn more of traditional yoga, as well as the philosophy behind it. My passion for yoga was the reason behind my visiting and studying yoga in Rishikesh (Northern India). Outside of yoga, I believe India to be the most amazing country. A melting pot of religions, languages, and cultures that makes a place I believe everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

I sometimes experience difficulty maintaining strength and balance on training days. I discovered that this was coming from poor breath control. There are many ways to fix breathing techniques. In yoga, we refer to this as pranayama; the control of life force, the extension of breath and the flow of life energy.

Practicing yoga has personally helped me with my breathing. So much so, that I would love to share my experiences through my practice with others, to help them create a happy and balanced body and mind.

What was the hardest challenge from switching careers and reinventing yourself from nurse to circus to yoga instructor?

The hardest part is to maintain and improve my skill. Nurse, circus, and yoga are completely different from each other. Being a nurse, I always have to study, do some research, attend some seminar to keep me updated while being a circus performer and a yoga instructor, it takes a lot of practice, self-discipline, and commitment. Especially with yoga, there’s a lot of body and mind exercises. If you don’t exercise enough, it’s easy to lose your balance, strength, and flexibility that you’ve built for so long and it’s going to be hard to start all over again.

What was your favorite memory about India?

It’s very hard to say because I have so many great memories from India. But one thing for sure, India is an amazing country. Indian people are so friendly, you’ll find a wide variety of healthy food too. During my yoga training in Rishikesh, I loved to start my day taking a morning walk by myself. Then I’d go to the edge of the river and sit there alone, close my eyes and meditate for maybe around 15 minutes….I love the minute I open my eyes again, I’d see the sunrise and beautiful nature around me. The crystal clear water of the Ganges river, the lush greenery, the sounds of birds chirping and bells ringing from the temple. It was just so peaceful and magical beyond words I have to take a deep breath and remind myself again how incredibly lucky I am to be able to witness this special moment.

Have you ever doubted yourself? How to overcome fear?

I never doubt myself but during training, I often feel exhausted, run out of motivation, and just want to give up. I find building confidence by learning more towards the goal that I want to achieve can be an effective way of overcoming fear.

What are the biggest lessons you’ve learned lately?

To create and maintain a positive mindset especially during difficult times like this.

Just like many people out there, the coronavirus pandemic has affected my life too. There are so many things I had planned this year didn’t end up happening or projects got canceled. The fitness studio where I usually teach has closed and my training was less effective since I could no longer work out with fitness equipment at the gym but at the end of the day, I’m grateful that I’m healthy and I have enough food and money to survive. And obviously I hope things will improve soon.

What’s your biggest achievement or your proudest moment?

When I set goals and achieve them successfully

If you could travel back to the past, is there anything you wish you could change and why?

I don’t want to change anything even if I could. But I do wish to create more beautiful moments with my family, especially now that I’m away a lot and we don’t get to spend time together like we used to. You know, people come and go but your family will be with you even when you’ve fallen. For the longest time, I’ve always been overthinking everything…especially when it comes to decision-making and I wish I was braver.

If you could do/be anything in the world, what would you be?

I would like to join the Air Force. Flying a helicopter with a mission to protect the country. Also, I would like to lead and empower women. Inspire and help them to build more confidence without losing their true feminine power.

What makes you happy? What makes your soul shine?

I’m not the kind of person who complains about anything in life but when something annoys or bothers me, I like to take some time alone so I can reflect, breathe, and relax. In general, I love to create happy moments every day like talking to my family and friends, learning something new, cooking healthy food, doing my training at the gym or at the park, or just laying down in my bed and watching Youtube, movies, or TikTok videos. It’s all about appreciating the little things and the simple joys in life.

What inspires you?

Anything in life. It could be you, that girl or that guy. I believe everyone has their own story. Your journey and experience matter more than you know. You never know how your story is going to inspire and motivate someone else. In this world especially during difficult times like this we need to share love, peace, be kind, and help each other.

What are you most grateful in life?

That I have a healthy body and mind

How would you describe yourself?

Passionate

What’s next for you?

I’d love to improve my training and teaching skills. Maybe travel to a new country, learn martial arts, and get certified in NASM functional training.

No comments:

Post a Comment