Saturday, July 25, 2020

Vogue: Reset




Last month when Edward Enninful, the editor-in-chief of British Vogue revealed the magazine’s latest issue and announced the new #Voguechallenge with a theme: reset, I immediately think what does reset mean to me? I’ve been working on a bunch of personal projects in the last 2 years and often feel guilty when I find myself taking a break or not doing anything for a day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really good at doing absolutely nothing when I’m on vacation but since this is not a real vacation, I just keep telling myself to stay productive. Then I realize no I can’t work this way. I need to press the pause button, breathe, slow down, rest when I need to, and simply be okay if that day I don’t get a single thing done. Yes, during quarantine I learn to be more compassionate, to stop worrying about perfection, and overcome my inner critic. To breathe, to reset.

That night I was scrolling through my gallery and found the image above that I took in Sumba, Indonesia a year earlier. One thing I love most about photography; a single picture can tell a story and bring back so many memories. I still remember that day my friends and I were on a mission to catch the sunset at Walakiri beach. We managed to arrive early but the tide was quite high we couldn’t do a photoshoot anymore. Our guide then took us to walk along the beach, it was the moment when all of us sit together and watch the sunset…I remind myself to enjoy the moment, breathe, because the truth is I don’t know when I will return to this beautiful place. And suddenly I had this thought in my mind, why not just join the challenge and share this picture? I never join any #challenge before but I love the idea of reset and obviously a huge huge fan of Edward Enninful and everything he has done for Vogue. So I posted the picture on Instagram with the hope to inspire others and last night I found out Edward has picked my picture as his top ten: The Best #Reset Vogue Challenge Covers. Well, I bet you can tell not only I am happy to be a part of Vogue Reset but also incredibly honoured that Edward has noticed me ( I’ve always wanted to work with Edward so this probably the closest I can get to him ). Once again this proves me you never know how much your work can inspire or move someone. You never know how far you can go when you try something new or take a risk. And you can still learn or find new inspiration even when you press that reset button…

No comments:

Post a Comment